Facebook is closing down

Dear Reader

I would like to announce the closure of Facebook.

Robert Scoble has been banned from Facebook for running a script that would allow him to access all his personal information which is strictly against their Terms of Use.

As a result, his account has been suspended and Facebook is now considering closing their doors for good in light of the great evangelist no longer being able to promote the networking site. (ok, that last bit might be a little exaggerated but it has become a bit pants of late!).

The blogosphere is awash with commentary and articles about the debacle and I am doing my bit to add to the furore. I hope you find this article as useless as the other tosh out there.

Best regards

Paul Fabretti

I have one question though: WTF was he trying to do? Yes, the data is his but he cannot expect to try and break in to Facebook to get it back.

As Rodney says, it is quite reassuring to see that Facebook can detect this type of activity, but just because my car may be at a garage under repair, does not mean I can break into the bloody garage to get a CD from the radio.

Technorati Tags: ,
  1. Gez says: January 3, 20089:26 am

I think the reason Facebook took off with the mainstream was trust. It’s easy for social media addicts to forget that lots of people are sceptical about handing over details and photos to open web apps. Facebook has always promised to protect data (unless they use it to target ads of course) and this is the reason so may people trust them.

All Facebook is doing is protecting that information that Scoble’s friends have entrusted to him.

Closed or open? It’s up to you but don’t complain when one isn’t the other.

2. sheila says: June 26, 200811:28 am

close it down its rubbish

3. richard says: January 16, 20091:32 pm

close it down, it keeps locking me out and disabling my chat sessions it’s cr*p

4. Tracy says: February 16, 20104:44 pm

I think they should keep it, but, I also think that people need to made aware of the downside scandles, how vulnerable anyone who has pictures ofothers , the availability to hurt someone is so great, either intentionally or not intentionally. People need to make the best choices and have better safety while facebooking and its just not available, anyone can post an unflatterint comment,picture, do much damage. There are so many examples of people losing their jobs or suspension over something simple like having a picture with a striper at a bachelorette party posted when your a professional, and people don’t realize this until its too late. Your too vulnerable on facebook so it needs to be safer.

5. Tracy says: February 16, 201011:44 am

6. Muhammad Hidzir says: January 9, 20116:05 pm

should have sell facebook company first then close down..