Penninsula – stop talking shit

According to employment law firm Peninsula, 233 million hours are lost every month as a result of employees "wasting time" on social networking.

Thanks Penninsula. That’s a new headline isn’t it?

Lost? Potato, Pota-to.

Mike Huss, director of employment law at Peninsula called on all firms to block access to sites such as Facebook.

He asked: "Why should employers allow their workers to waste two hours a day on Facebook when they are being paid to do a job?"

He said that loss of productivity was proving a "major headache" for firms.

Headache? Do you even know what a headache is Mr. Huss?

Although to be fair to you,  I suspect Mr. Huss, that your Manchester office was not told of these previous actions at the time that you were advising them on how to legally get rid of me.

Might I suggest that both you and your clients spend a little bit more time on social networks to enable to them join the real world where the rest of humanity is.

1. SNP says: September 11, 20079:59 am

May be your employer decided to get rid of you due to your lack of grammar and spelling…Peninsula (as it is spelt!) Get it right before you start blaming others for you misfortune and get a grip like the rest of us!

2. paul.fabretti says: September 11, 200710:10 am

Ok, let me address three things here:

1) Penninsula. OK, Fair point. It should be Peninsula.

2) “May be” – surely you mean “Maybe”???

3) “you misfortune” – surely you mean “YOUR misfortune”???

I presume as a Peninsula employee you must now be quivering in your boots that your appalling grammar and spelling put your livelihood at risk if such mistakes can justify expulsion from a company??

Furthermore, the very fact that you are looking at a blog in company time must mean you should soon be able to hear the sounds of security men walking down the office to calmly remove you from your desk – after all Mr. Huss suggests all social network activity should be banned during office hours.

My only reservation was if I should have said “shite” instead of “shit”…

3. SNP says: September 11, 200710:25 am

First of all I am not a Peninsula employee, the spelling mistake is easy to spot as you see that in the first line of the quote used it states “Peninsula”. So how about that Mr I Know Everything! Secondly I’m glad to see that both spelling and grammar have improved on your part and you can now spot common mistakes. Thirdly…get a life a start living in the real world…you see social networking sites are not real they are virtual!!!! So the “shite” you refer to is actually your concept of reality!

4. paul.fabretti says: September 11, 200710:34 am

…”social networking sites are not real”…who do you think people interract with then? Robots. Hmmm.

No surprise you are not a Peninsula employee with that kind of logic (even if your IP address does come from “ns3.peninsula-uk.com”).

5. SNP says: September 11, 200710:48 am

Damn my cover has been blown! you mr fabretti are too clever for your own good! Well done to you sir! enjoy facebook!

6. paul.fabretti says: September 11, 200710:51 am

Hey, no hard feelings!

That’s the beautiful thing about social networks and blogging – I get my say, but as the “other party” you also get to respond.

It is a two-way process.

Have Peninsula considered how powerful and beneficial a blog could be for them?

Let me know!

Paul

7. […] That sounds about right to me. Let’s be clear. Peninsula makes its money scaring the living crap out of firms by pointing out just how much at risk they are from errant employees. They offer help developing great standards of employee relationship such as these, epitomised by Paul Fabretti’s experience: A headache is having to live on the breadline for a long period of time because one of your clients (Swift Marketing Solutions) deducted wages from me as an incentive to make me work more effectively and at the same time changed the terms of my contract without giving me a new one. Is it not the responsibility of Penninsula to ensure that their clients are acting within the rules? […]